#APConnect: Developmental Observations - Advanced Practice (Code: C1153)
In this module, APs will be exposed to:
- Current thinking and research in the field of developmental approaches to observation
- Evidence-based approaches to using observation to improve and develop teaching & learning
- Applied skills in developing AP practice related to reflection and coaching
- A collaborative forum in which to share and exchange ideas for best practice in this area with colleagues from across the FE sector
Who is this for?
Experienced practitioners operating in AP-type roles.
They may be known by a range of titles such as:
- Teaching and Learning Coaches
- Advanced Practitioners
- Learning Practitioners
- Teaching Improvement Practitioners
The training aim of the module is to develop and extend the knowledge and skills of APs so that they can enhance the developmental impact of observations in their workplace context.
The module blends pre-module activity, content delivery and a subsequent webinar to ensure that participants can link prior learning and practice to new perspectives and then apply new learning in their workplace context.
The three-part format allows for extended networking and exchange of experiences and practices across the group of participants, with the final webinar providing an opportunity for sharing practice and evaluation of the learning on this module and from the small workplace project.
You will have the knowledge and confidence to:
- Identify core characteristics of research-based developmental approaches to lesson observation.
- Create, implement and evaluate a developmental approach to observation in your workplace.
- Identify and practise core coaching and reflection skills to support developmental observation.
- Develop an awareness of several cutting edge models of developmental lesson observation and reflect on their applications in your context.
This is an online module which will be delivered by Joanne Miles and Prof. Matt O'Leary. It consists of the following elements.
- Pre-module activity
- Live content via Zoom (full day)
- Post session tasks (including small-scale project)
- Group coaching support between the live sessions
- Live follow up webinar
Please make sure you can commit to all offline and live elements before you book. A further breakdown of indicative content can be accessed here
You will have experience of carrying out at least some of these activities in your Advanced Practitioner-type role:
- 1:1 coaching of individuals
- Facilitation of development/CPD sessions with groups or teams
- Carrying out informal developmental observations and related professional dialogues
- Reflecting on teaching and learning practice with teachers and identifying actions
- Following up development plans emerging from lesson observations with individual teachers to support improvement activities
- Collaboration with managers to develop teaching & learning in the curriculum context
Some of your working week will be spent supporting or developing teachers. This may involve a small number of hours or a large fraction of your timetable, depending on your work context.