Developing English writing skills (Code: C1180)
Many learners begin their English courses with little confidence in their writing ability. This course encourages tutors to explore a range of interactive activities and approaches designed to help both teachers and learners evaluate their writing skills and identify ways in which they can improve and refine specific aspects of their written work.
The course price is £50 per individual
For those employed at a non-SFA funded organisation, the price will be £75
SET members get 15% discount
In-house price per organisation
- £880 for up to 16 participants
- £1700 for 17 to 32 participants
A limited number of free places are offered on this course. Please see the 'Upcoming' section above for current availability. Free places are offered to ensure greater diversity on our courses, so to qualify you must either:
- Work in an organisation in one of the 12 opportunity areas (Blackpool, Bradford, Derby, Doncaster, Fenland and East Cambridgeshire, Hastings, Ipswich, Norwich, Oldham, Scarborough, Stoke, West Somerset)
- Work in an organisation with an annual turnover of less than £500,000
- Consider yourself to have a disability
- Come from a Black, Asian or minority ethnic (BAME) background
You must also agree to be contacted by our evaluation team.
To book a free place find a course that has free places remaining and book a single place. At the payments stage of the booking you will be asked to tell us which of the three criteria you meet. Once selected, click on the 'recalculate' button to reduce the cost of the booking to zero and complete the booking.
If, for whatever reason, you are unable to attend, please advise us at least one week before the course takes place. This will allow us to offer the free place to someone else who works in the FE sector, so they can take advantage of this offer.
SET members are entitled to an exclusive 15% discount off this ETF professional development course.
Find out more about SET membership on the Society for Education and Training (SET) website.
Who is this for?
This course is for tutors who teach GCSE or Functional Skills English, or other practitioners and support staff who need to support the development of learners' writing skills.
To explore a range of interactive activities and approaches to help learners identify elements of the writing process which need to improve and adopt strategies which will help them to develop the aspects further and improve their confidence in writing.
By the end of the session you will have:
- Explored the use of a range of integrated skills activities designed to evaluate learners' confidence in different elements of the writing process and identify areas for development.
- Considered different approaches that can be used to generate ideas, create plans and encourage editing.
- Tried out a selection of activities to refine writing by focussing on vocabulary and sentence structure.
There are no specific entry requirements, but you should have an involvement in the teaching of English in the Further Education and skills sector.