Maths topics learners find challenging: Algebra (Code: C1186)
This interactive course will present examples of activities that can be used with learners to develop their understanding of algebra, an area which is challenging to many. It will focus on algebraic expressions and linear equations. You will also look at how to encourage learners to rethink problems and secure their learning through tackling problems.
The course price is £50 per individual
For those employed at a non-SFA funded organisation, the price will be £75
SET members get 15% discount
In-house price per organisation
- £880 for up to 16 participants
- £1700 for 17 to 32 participants
A limited number of free places are offered on this course. Please see the 'Upcoming' section above for current availability. Free places are offered to ensure greater diversity on our courses, so to qualify you must either:
- Work in an organisation in one of the 12 opportunity areas (Blackpool, Bradford, Derby, Doncaster, Fenland and East Cambridgeshire, Hastings, Ipswich, Norwich, Oldham, Scarborough, Stoke, West Somerset)
- Work in an organisation with an annual turnover of less than £500,000
- Consider yourself to have a disability
- Come from a Black, Asian or minority ethnic (BAME) background
You must also agree to be contacted by our evaluation team.
To book a free place find a course that has free places remaining and book a single place. At the payments stage of the booking you will be asked to tell us which of the three criteria you meet. Once selected, click on the 'recalculate' button to reduce the cost of the booking to zero and complete the booking.
If, for whatever reason, you are unable to attend, please advise us at least one week before the course takes place. This will allow us to offer the free place to someone else who works in the FE sector, so they can take advantage of this offer.
SET members are entitled to an exclusive 15% discount off this ETF professional development course.
Find out more about SET membership on the Society for Education and Training (SET) website.
Who is this for?
This course is for teachers and other practitioners delivering GCSE maths in the Further Education and Training sector.
This course will provide participants with a range of strategies, approaches and activities to support learners to develop their understanding and confidence in algebraic expressions and solving linear equations.
At the end of the course you will have:
- Identified activities that you can use to support learners in developing their understanding of algebraic expressions and solving linear equations.
- Explored ideas on using and developing contexts to help students see the purpose of algebra.
- Reflected on how you might use these activities and approaches in your own teaching.
- Exchanged ideas, discussed challenges and considered opportunities.
There are no specific entry requirements, but you are expected to have some experience of teaching algebra.