Chairs Leadership Programme (Code: C1223)
The Further Education Chairs’ Leadership Programme brings together FE sector expertise and the IoD’s vast experience in corporate governance to explore the role of the chair. It will utilise the insights and skills of participants and facilitators to identify concrete steps that allow participants to improve their impact on the board and the wider organisation.
£750 per participant.
Free 1-day alumni event.
A limited number of free places are offered on this course. Please see the 'Upcoming' section above for current availability. Free places are offered to ensure greater diversity on our courses, so to qualify you must either:
- Work in an organisation in one of the 24 opportunity areas (Blackpool, Bradford, Derby, Doncaster, Fenland and East Cambridgeshire, Halton, Hartlepool, Hastings, Ipswich, Knowsley, Liverpool, Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire, Coast, Norwich, Nottingham, Oldham, Portsmouth, Rochdale, Salford, Sandwell, Stoke-on-Trent, Tameside, Walsall, West Somerset)
- Work in an organisation with an annual turnover of less than £500,000
- Consider yourself to have a disability
- Come from a Black, Asian or minority ethnic (BAME) background
You must also agree to be contacted by our evaluation team.
To book a free place find a course that has free places remaining and book a single place. At the payments stage of the booking you will be asked to tell us which of the three criteria you meet. Once selected, click on the 'recalculate' button to reduce the cost of the booking to zero and complete the booking.
If, for whatever reason, you are unable to attend, please advise us at least one week before the course takes place. This will allow us to offer the free place to someone else who works in the FE sector, so they can take advantage of this offer.
Who is this for?
This course is open to all current Chairs in the Further Education and Training sector.
The programme brings together the IoD's experience and insight into chairing senior leadership groups with issues that organisational chairs in all sectors (including FE) are facing now, for example, Covid-19 recovery, Brexit implications, and the ESG/sustainability agenda. Prior to the course, all participants will have the option to complete a strengths profiling tool which will identify existing strengths along with possible development areas, as well as providing insight into the individual's personal leadership approach. Participants will have the opportunity to reflect on their roles as governance leaders throughout the programme and following its completion, by participating in virtual action learning sets and receiving coaching. In addition, all participants can obtain an Award-level qualification if they take and pass the IoD's Leadership for Directors exam.
Having completed this programme, the participant will be able to:
2. Report knowledge of additional strategies to strengthen the relationships between the Principal/CEO and governance professional to support effective governance
3. Report improved knowledge of how to plan for succession and other changes
4. Report increased awareness of boardroom dynamics, and improved ability to resolve tension and conflict
5. Report improved awareness of strategies for stakeholder engagement and building partnerships
The Chairs Leadership Programme includes a 2.5 day residential between 09/10/22 and 11/10/22. Following the residential component, participants will take part in five action learning sets, which will take place virtually during a six-month timeframe until March 2023.
Delegates must be a Chair in the Further Education and Training sector.