Governance Professionals' Leadership Programme (Code: C1225)
This 2.5-day residential programme, developed with the Institute of Directors (IoD), explores the role of the governance professional, how they can become an authoritative voice on governance, while providing effective support for the Chair and the wider board. In addition to the residential element, participants can complete an optional strengths profiling diagnostic in advance, and participate in action learning sets following the completion of the programme. IoD Associate membership is also included as part of the programme fee.
£650 per participant.
A limited number of free places are offered on this course. Please see the 'Upcoming' section above for current availability. Free places are offered to ensure greater diversity on our courses, so to qualify you must either:
- Work in an organisation in one of the 12 opportunity areas (Blackpool, Bradford, Derby, Doncaster, Fenland and East Cambridgeshire, Hastings, Ipswich, Norwich, Oldham, Scarborough, Stoke, West Somerset)
- Work in an organisation with an annual turnover of less than £500,000
- Consider yourself to have a disability
- Come from a Black, Asian or minority ethnic (BAME) background
You must also agree to be contacted by our evaluation team.
To book a free place find a course that has free places remaining and book a single place. At the payments stage of the booking you will be asked to tell us which of the three criteria you meet. Once selected, click on the 'recalculate' button to reduce the cost of the booking to zero and complete the booking.
If, for whatever reason, you are unable to attend, please advise us at least one week before the course takes place. This will allow us to offer the free place to someone else who works in the FE sector, so they can take advantage of this offer.
Who is this for?
This course is open to governance professionals in the further education sector.
This programme, designed with the Institute of Directors, will help develop the governance professional's leadership capabilities, enabling them to anticipate and resolve strategic challenges, support the Chair and the development of an effective board, while serving as an authoritative voice and trusted adviser on governance. Prior to the programme, all participants will have the option to complete a strengths profiling tool which will identify existing strengths along with possible development areas, as well as providing insight into the individual's personal leadership approach. Participants will have the opportunity to reflect on their roles as governance leaders throughout the programme and following its completion by participating in action learning sets, which will take place virtually over a six-month timeframe. In addition, all participants will be eligible for IoD Associate membership.
Having completed this programme, the participant will be able to:
1. Become an authoritative voice on governance and regulation.
2. Exercise authority over and accountability for the governance function.
3. Provide effective support for the Chair through deep understanding of issues of boardroom dynamics and the interpersonal skills necessary to be the trusted adviser of all in the boardroom.
4. Anticipate strategic problems, engage with the right people, and mobilise resources to solve them.
5. Are solutions-driven and demonstrates tenacity, resilience and persistence in reaching the right decision.
6. Use networks for support on sensitive or difficult matters to avoid professional isolation.
The 2.5-day residential programme is held at Ettington Park Hotel near Stratford-Upon-Avon, Warwickshire. Full board accommodation is included in the course fee.
Prior to the programme, participants will have the option to complete a strengths profiling tool. Following the residential component, participants will take part in five action learning sets, which will take place virtually during a six-month timeframe.
It is expected that those participating will have gained a governance qualification or attended relevant training on governance (such as through The Chartered Governance Institute or the ETF Governance Professionals' Expert programme) prior to joining this programme.