Core maths: delivering the qualifications with confidence and success
Maths and English Pipeline
SET member: £212.50 https://set.et-foundation.co.uk
Who is this course for?
This course is aimed at those looking for a complete introduction to teaching these exciting qualifications. Participants should have personal maths skills to at least Level 3 and experience in teaching maths to at least Level 2.
This course will prepare you to teach Core Maths and support the teaching of higher maths qualifications.
You will have the knowledge and confidence to:
1. Bring learners with different GCSE grades up to speed with higher level GCSE content:
- diagnosing student skills
- consolidating and refresh GCSE understanding
- developing fluency in the application of GCSE content.
2. Apply GCSE content to non-mathematical problems:
- sourcing and applying good examples from physical/technical/scientific and human/behavioural/social domains
- teaching mathematics through contextually relevant problems.
3. Develop the learners' subject knowledge which is beyond GCSE. Focussing on; statistics, probability, discrete maths and financial maths
4. Build learners' mathematical thinking, reasoning and communication:
- teaching maths using non-routine problems
- developing students' skills to set out mathematical reasoning, reach conclusions and justify approaches taken to resolving a problem.
Length of the course
The course consists of three days of training which can be spread over a period of time or run on consecutive days. Course times are 10am-4pm