Developing grammar for reading and writing (Code: C1245)
This interactive webinar aims to explore how knowledge and skills in grammar can be taught in imaginative ways through the active exploration of everyday and vocational texts.
It is the first of two linked webinars that explore the teaching of grammar and introduce ideas and teaching strategies that are then developed in the follow up webinar Investigating grammar: Supporting your learners to understand how texts work.
Who is this for?
Functional Skills English teachers, GCSE English teachers and vocational teachers who support their learners' English development
To explore how knowledge and skills in grammar can be taught in imaginative ways through the active exploration of everyday and vocational texts.
On this course, you will:
- critically evaluate different approaches to teaching grammar
- list the key features of a text-based and investigative approach to teaching grammar
- explore the links between receptive and productive language by using shared reading to prepare learners for writing tasks
- support learners in avoiding some common grammatical errors through a range of starter activities and short task formats
- access research reports and online resources to deepen their knowledge of the teaching strategies recommended on the course
By the end of this course, you will be able to combine direct instruction with active learning and investigative tasks to enhance your grammar teaching.