Overcoming barriers to learning English (Code: C1277)
The course is for teachers of English in the post-16 sector who have resit learners or learners who experience barriers to progress in their learning of English.
Who is this for?
To provide teachers with an introduction to some established models and strategies for overcoming learners' fixed mindsets
To help teachers to understand learners' starting points particularly related to possible feelings of being 'stuck' at a particular level.
To provide an opportunity to discuss metacognitive strategies whereby teachers can help learners to overcome affective barriers to learning English.
On this course, you will:
- consider how to talk to learners about what they can do as opposed to what they can't
- consider how to teach learners about their starting points and discuss with them the approaches that work best for them
- use the concepts of fixed and growth mindsets to underpin future approaches to learners who feel 'stuck'
- apply the Growth Zone model with English learners to improve learner confidence and personalise progress, incorporating challenge and support
- share strategies for engaging, motivating, and supporting English learners.
By the end of this course, you will be able to engage learners in reflecting about their English skills and learning mindset and encourage them to develop their metacognitive skills.
Participants should be teaching, or intending to teach, English.