English GCSE Re-sits: Develop your Practice (Level 5 module) (Code: C1291)
This Level 5 CPD course supports practitioners working with GCSE English learners, especially those who have achieved lower than a grade 4 at school. You will explore and experience how to engage and motivate learners and undertake assessment to build on their prior learning. You will experience digital approaches and other effective practices for leading GCSE English courses. Past delegates say the course was 'exemplary & inspiring' with 'excellent, highly knowledgeable trainers'.
Who is this for?
- Existing teachers who currently teach GCSE English and would benefit from training and development.
- New GCSE teachers such as Functional Skills teachers or vocational teachers who are teaching or have taught English/ Literacy at level 2 and meet the entry requirements.
It aims to support you to develop the subject knowledge and subject-specific pedagogy required to support learners who have not achieved a good pass in GCSE English (Language) at school.
You will be able to:
- analyse factors that might disengage GCSE learners and explore strategies for motivating and inspiring them
- evaluate and use approaches to initial and diagnostic assessment which actively involve learners in the process of assessment and target setting
- plan effective learning programmes for GCSE English Language courses
- develop knowledge and abilities to carry out effective GCSE English Language teaching
- use a range of assessment for learning strategies and adapt teaching to meet the needs of individual learners
- reflect on your own practice and identify ways (including the use of research) to improve it.
5 days of online delivery with 2 session of 2 hours per day, a total of 20 hours plus independent study.
Candidates must be qualified to level 3, or be able to demonstrate level 3 personal skills, in English.
A generic teaching qualification e.g. DTLLS, Cert Ed, PGCE, etc