English Functional Skills teaching (Level 5 module) (Code: C1303)
This Level 5 CPD course supports practitioners working with Functional Skills English learners. You will explore and experience how to engage and motivate learners and undertake assessment to build on their prior learning. It is designed to meet the needs of all parts of the sector, including independent training providers, offender learning and adult and community education.
Who is this for?
This course is aimed at:
- new teachers of Functional Skills English
- experienced teachers who may have recently transferred from other areas, including vocational teachers and assessors
- those who do not currently hold a subject-specific teaching qualification in English.
The course will ensure that those responsible for teaching Functional Skills English are conversant with effective practice and have the confidence to teach Functional Skills English to learners with skills below Level 2 and support their achievement.
You will have the knowledge and confidence to:
- motivate and engage reluctant learners and address barriers to English learning
- plan teaching and learning in accordance with the subject content for Functional Skills English
- use active approaches to developing learner's skills in speaking, listening and communicating, reading and writing
- contextualise and apply English to vocational learning and meaningful everyday situations
- use assessment for learning approaches to support Functional English
- prepare learners for the requirements of summative assessment.
The sessions are
- Starting points: course introduction
- Functional Skills content and real life
- Varieties of English and spoken language
- Additional learning needs
- Phonics for reading and writing
- Reading and writing at Entry Level
- Critical reading and thinking
- Developing writing
- Planning teaching and preparation for assessment
- Putting it all together: creating resources and activities for functional English.
10 webinars of two hours each on different days.
You will also be expected to engage in independent study in between facilitated sessions.
An English qualification at level 2 or above.
Employment in a teaching/training/assessing role in the post-16 education and training sector.
Currently delivering functional skills English (or due to deliver imminently).
Confirmation of support from your manager that you will be released to attend all sessions.