Maths Functional Skills teaching (Level 5 module) (Code: C1305)
This course is aimed at both new teachers of Functional Skills maths and those already teaching but possibly recently transferred from other areas, including vocational teachers and assessors. It is particularly suitable for those who do not currently hold a specific teaching qualification in maths. It is designed to meet the needs of all parts of the Further Education and Training sector, including independent training providers, colleges, offender learning and adult and community education.
Who is this for?
This course is particularly suitable for:
- new teachers of Functional Skills maths
- experienced teachers and trainers who have recently transferred from other areas to teach maths, including vocational teachers and assessors
- those who do not currently hold a specific teaching qualification in maths.
The course will ensure that those responsible for teaching Functional Skills maths are conversant with effective practice and have the confidence to teach Functional Skills maths to learners with skills below level 2 and support their achievement.
By the end of the sessions, you will have the knowledge and confidence to:
- motivate and engage reluctant learners and address barriers to maths learning plan teaching and learning in accordance with the new subject content for Functional Skills maths
- use active approaches to develop learners' skills
- contextualise and apply maths to vocational learning and meaningful and everyday situations develop learners' problem solving and decision-making skills
- use assessment for learning approaches to support Functional Maths prepare learners for the requirements of summative assessment.
The sessions are as follows
- Learning mathematics
- Teaching mathematics
- Number and number sense
- Fractions, decimals, percentages, ratio
- Measure, space and shape
- Information and data handling
- E-learning, technology and flipped learning in maths
- Flipped learning in maths
- Supporting individual needs
- Assessment in Functional Skills mathematics
- Bringing it all together.
10 webinars of two hours each on different days.
You will also be expected to engage in independent study in between facilitated sessions.
- A maths qualification at level 2 or above
- Employment in a teaching/training/assessing role in the post-16 education and training sector
- Currently delivering Functional Skills maths or expecting to soon.