Supporting Functional Skills (Maths) (East and North) (Code: C0281)
There are three pricing options:
A limited number of free places are offered on this course. Please see the 'Upcoming' section above for current availability. Free places are offered to ensure greater diversity on our courses, so to qualify you must either:
- Work in an organisation in one of the 12 opportunity areas (Blackpool, Bradford, Derby, Doncaster, Fenland and East Cambridgeshire, Hastings, Ipswich, Norwich, Oldham, Scarborough, Stoke, West Somerset)
- Work in an organisation with an annual turnover of less than £500,000
- Consider yourself to have a disability
- Come from a Black, Asian or minority ethnic (BAME) background
You must also agree to be contacted by our evaluation team.
To book a free place find a course that has free places remaining and book a single place. At the payments stage of the booking you will be asked to tell us which of the three criteria you meet. Once selected, click on the 'recalculate' button to reduce the cost of the booking to zero and complete the booking.
If, for whatever reason, you are unable to attend, please advise us at least one week before the course takes place. This will allow us to offer the free place to someone else who works in the FE sector, so they can take advantage of this offer.
SET members are entitled to an exclusive 15% discount off this ETF professional development course.
Find out more about SET membership on the Society for Education and Training (SET) website.
Who is this for?
This course is primarily aimed at subject specialist teachers of Functional Maths but it may also be of interest to other practitioners working in the further education and skills sector who will be supporting the development of learners' Functional Skills, such as learning support assistants. We recommend that vocational teachers, trainers and assessors take part in the 'Vocational Revitalisers' (maths) or 'Developing Vocational Maths' courses, for guidance on supporting learners to develop their maths abilities in vocational contexts.
The aim of the one-day course is to introduce you to newly-produced exemplar activities. The course will help you to understand how you can adapt and use the activities to develop learners' Functional Maths abilities and support learners to achieve Functional maths outcomes.
You will have the knowledge and confidence to:
- identify how and why context matters when developing learners' Functional maths
- plan differentiated, inclusive Functional maths sessions, which build on learners' lives and maths/ numeracy practices
- design Functional maths sessions that meet Effective Practice Guidelines for assessment and tracking
- support learners to achieve Functional maths outcomes.
You should be teaching or supporting Functional Maths skills development.
If this course is not currently available in your area, and you would like to attend then register your interest. We will let you know about new events as they are announced.