GCSE re-sits: develop your practice (Level 5 module) English
- SET member: £340
- Non-SET member: £400
- In-house course for up to 16 staff: £3,680
A limited number of free places are offered on this course. Please see the 'Upcoming' section above for current availability. Free places are offered to ensure greater diversity on our courses, so to qualify you must either:
- Work in an organisation in one of the 12 opportunity areas (Blackpool, Bradford, Derby, Doncaster, Fenland and East Cambridgeshire, Hastings, Ipswich, Norwich, Oldham, Scarborough, Stoke, West Somerset)
- Work in an organisation with an annual turnover of less than £500,000
- Consider yourself to have a disability
- Come from a Black, Asian or minority ethnic (BAME) background
You must also agree to be contacted by our evaluation team.
To book a free place find a course that has free places remaining and book a single place. At the payments stage of the booking you will be asked to tell us which of the three criteria you meet. Once selected, click on the 'recalculate' button to reduce the cost of the booking to zero and complete the booking.
If, for whatever reason, you are unable to attend, please advise us at least one week before the course takes place. This will allow us to offer the free place to someone else who works in the FE sector, so they can take advantage of this offer.
SET members are entitled to an exclusive 15% discount off this ETF professional development course.
Find out more about SET membership on the Society for Education and Training (SET) website.
Who is this for?
- Existing teachers who currently teach GCSE English and would benefit from training and development.
- New GCSE teachers such as Functional Skills teachers or vocational teachers who are teaching/ have taught English/ Literacy at level 2 and meet the entry requirements.
- Teachers who have undertaken the English Enhancement Programme (EEP) and meet the entry requirements
It aims to support you to develop the subject knowledge and subject-specific pedagogy required to support learners who have not achieved a good pass in GCSE English (Language) at school.
- analyse factors that might disengage GCSE learners and explore strategies for motivating and inspiring them
- evaluate and use approaches to initial and diagnostic assessment which actively involve learners in the process of assessment and target setting
- plan effective learning programmes for GCSE English Language courses
- develop knowledge and abilities to carry out effective GCSE English Language teaching
- use a range of assessment for learning strategies and adapt teaching to meet the needs of individual learners
- reflect on own practice and identify ways (including the use of research) to improve it.
If delegates, including those from 2015 cohorts, wish to seek accreditation at Level 5 there is an additional fee for this of £200 per person. This includes:
- centre costs, registration and certification
- tutorial support
- an accreditation eGuide
- assessment and feedback.
The course will run over 10-12 weeks, and will include approximately 40 guided learning hours, and will typically run over five full face-to-face days. Different delivery models are available.
Candidates must be qualified to level 3, or be able to demonstrate level 3 personal skills, in English*.
A generic teaching qualification e.g. DTLLS, Cert Ed, PGCE, etc
* If applicants do not have a Level 3 English qualification, they will be asked to complete an initial assessment. If necessary, they will be signposted to Foundation Online learning modules and/or a Level 3 'Award in Literacy/ Language for English Teachers'.