Supporting Functional Skills: two day customised course
This is available as an in-house course only as it will be customised for your Functional Skills team.
In-house course for up to 16 staff: £1,580
A limited number of free places are offered on this course. Please see the 'Upcoming' section above for current availability. Free places are offered to ensure greater diversity on our courses, so to qualify you must either:
- Work in an organisation in one of the 12 opportunity areas (Blackpool, Bradford, Derby, Doncaster, Fenland and East Cambridgeshire, Hastings, Ipswich, Norwich, Oldham, Scarborough, Stoke, West Somerset)
- Work in an organisation with an annual turnover of less than £500,000
- Consider yourself to have a disability
- Come from a Black, Asian or minority ethnic (BAME) background
You must also agree to be contacted by our evaluation team.
To book a free place find a course that has free places remaining and book as normal. At the payments stage of the booking you will be asked to tell us which of the three criteria you meet and then click on the 'recalculate' button to reduce the cost of the booking to zero.
If, for whatever reason, you are unable to attend, please advise us at least one week before the course takes place. This will allow us to offer the free place to someone else who works in the FE sector, so they can take advantage of this offer.
Who is this for?
This course is primarily aimed at teams of subject specialist teachers of Functional English and maths and their managers, but it may also be of interest to other practitioners working in the further education and skills sector. These are adults who will be supporting the development of learners' Functional Skills, such as learning support assistants or other adults who support learning in English and maths including those from industry.
The aim of this two day course is to design a CPD course for your Functional Skills team. Design will be informed by a professional discussion with the Functional Skills manager, reflecting on strengths, areas of development, local needs and a series of diagnostic activities undertaken on day one (e.g. SEND, ESOL, digital approaches, differentiation, etc.).
The course will enable your team to collectively plan and design differentiated, inclusive Functional maths* and English programmes.
*as agreed with the trainer
By the end of this two day course you will have the knowledge and confidence to:
- Use the exemplar activities, and the underlying principles underpinning the new Functional Skills materials, that may be used to develop learners' Functional maths and English abilities.
- Clarify your priorities as a functional skills team and identify an action path to facilitate change.
- Further your ability to critically reflect on your department's achievements.
- Help you identify how and why context matters when developing learners' Functional maths and English.
- Enable your team to plan and design differentiated, inclusive Functional maths and English sessions which build on learners' lives and literacy/ language and numeracy practices.
- Help your team to further support all learners to achieve high quality Functional maths and English outcomes.
- pre-course: up to one-hour professional discussion between the Functional Skills Manager and one of our team
- day one: diagnostic activities with the Functional Skills team & meeting with Functional Skills manager/s to action plan and agree priorities for day two CPD.
- day two: delivery of agreed CPD programme for Functional Skills team and other practitioners.
Managers will engage in a confidential professional discussion with one of the team prior to day one. They will be expected to maintain regular contact with the trainer throughout the course to ensure the development of a customised CPD programme. Additionally, the Functional Skills Manager must be available on day one so the trainer can share initial findings and agree the CPD priorities for day two.