Autism awareness course
SET member: £85
Non-SET member: £100
This is a subsidised rate for providers that receive funding from the ESFA.
For providers not receiving funding the full cost is £150.
A limited number of free places are offered on this course. Please see the 'Upcoming' section above for current availability. Free places are offered to ensure greater diversity on our courses, so to qualify you must either:
- Work in an organisation in one of the 12 opportunity areas (Blackpool, Bradford, Derby, Doncaster, Fenland and East Cambridgeshire, Hastings, Ipswich, Norwich, Oldham, Scarborough, Stoke, West Somerset)
- Work in an organisation with an annual turnover of less than £500,000
- Consider yourself to have a disability
- Come from a Black, Asian or minority ethnic (BAME) background
You must also agree to be contacted by our evaluation team.
To book a free place find a course that has free places remaining and book as normal. At the payments stage of the booking you will be asked to tell us which of the three criteria you meet and then click on the 'recalculate' button to reduce the cost of the booking to zero.
SET members are entitled to an exclusive 15% discount off this ETF professional development course.
Find out more about SET membership on the Society for Education and Training (SET) website.
Who is this course for?
The course is designed for:
- all staff working in the Further Education sector, including employers working with young people transitioning from education into work.
This workshop will help you to increase your knowledge around autism and develop the confidence and skills to provide high quality educational experiences for learners with autism and related conditions.
You will have the knowledge and confidence to:
- understand autism and how it can impact individuals
- explore the effect of co-occurring conditions
- adapt written and verbal communication to accommodate the needs of learners
- make adjustments to teaching/training methods to facilitate effective learning and thinking
- consider sensory issues and adjust the learning environment accordingly
- understanding the emotional and social issues experienced by learners with autism
- support the learner effectively during progression and transition.
Length of the course
This is a full day face-to-face course with opportunities for collaborative learning. At the end of the day, you will receive a post-course guide providing key learning and signposting to additional helpful resources.
A link will be sent within the joining instructions to a pre-course workbook. Completion of the workbook will support your learning experience during the day workshop.
Within the workbook you will find a link to a short initial assessment survey. We would encourage you to complete the survey to establish a baseline for your learning journey.