Teaching Functional Skills English Level 5 CPD module (Code: C0438)
There are different pricing options:
1. Individual fees
- SET member: £340
- Non-SET member: £400
If you want to host the course for up to 10 of your own delegates, with the other places open to external participants, the cost is £2,600.
If your organisation is interested in hosting a course at a time and venue to suit you, the cost for an in-house course for up to 16 delegates is £3,680.
4. The prices for the webinar-only version of this course up until the end of July 2020 are:
Individual fee: £200
Up to 10 of your own delegates, with other places open to external participants: £1,200
In house for up to 16 of your own delegates: £1,800
If you are interested in attending a course as an individual please register your interest here.
If you want to host a course or have any other questions please email Jchamberlainwarwick@gmail.com
A limited number of free places are offered on this course. Please see the 'Upcoming' section above for current availability. Free places are offered to ensure greater diversity on our courses, so to qualify you must either:
- Work in an organisation in one of the 12 opportunity areas (Blackpool, Bradford, Derby, Doncaster, Fenland and East Cambridgeshire, Hastings, Ipswich, Norwich, Oldham, Scarborough, Stoke, West Somerset)
- Work in an organisation with an annual turnover of less than £500,000
- Consider yourself to have a disability
- Come from a Black, Asian or minority ethnic (BAME) background
You must also agree to be contacted by our evaluation team.
To book a free place find a course that has free places remaining and book a single place. At the payments stage of the booking you will be asked to tell us which of the three criteria you meet. Once selected, click on the 'recalculate' button to reduce the cost of the booking to zero and complete the booking.
If, for whatever reason, you are unable to attend, please advise us at least one week before the course takes place. This will allow us to offer the free place to someone else who works in the FE sector, so they can take advantage of this offer.
SET members are entitled to an exclusive 15% discount off this ETF professional development course.
Find out more about SET membership on the Society for Education and Training (SET) website.
Who is this for?
This course is aimed at both new teachers of Functional Skills English, and those already teaching but possibly recently transferred from other areas, including vocational teachers and assessors. It is particularly suitable for those who do not currently hold a subject-specific teaching qualification in English. It is designed to meet the needs of all parts of the sector, including independent training providers, offender learning and adult and community education.
The course will ensure that those responsible for teaching Functional Skills English are conversant with effective practice and have the confidence to teach Functional English to learners with skills below level 2 and support their achievement.
You will have the knowledge and confidence to:
- motivate and engage reluctant learners and address barriers to English learning
- plan teaching and learning in accordance with the new subject content for Functional Skills English
- use active approaches to developing learner's skills in speaking, listening and communicating, reading and writing
- contextualise and apply English to vocational learning and meaningful everyday situations
- use assessment for learning approaches to support Functional English
- prepare learners for the requirements of summative assessment.
If delegates, including those who have already finished their course, wish to seek optional accreditation at Level 5 there is an additional fee for this of £215 per person.
- centre costs, registration and certification
- tutorial support
- an accreditation eGuide
- assessment and feedback.
This course is available in two different delivery models:
1. Five full days, usually spaced about a week apart.
2. Three full days, three 90-minute webinars and eight hours of online flexible learning, which needs to be done independently during the course.
- An English qualification at level 2 or above.
- Employment in a teaching/training/assessing role in the post-16 education and training sector.
- Currently delivering functional skills English (or due to deliver imminently).
- Confirmation of support from your manager that you will be released to attend all sessions.