Teaching Functional Skills Maths Level 5 CPD module
There are three pricing options:
1. Individual fees
- SET member: £340
- Non-SET member: £400
If you want to host the course for up to 10 of your own delegates, with the other places open to external participants, the cost is £2,600.
If your organisation is interested in hosting a course at a time and venue to suit you, the cost for an in-house course for up to 16 delegates is £3,680.
If you are interested in attending a course as an individual please register your interest here and we will let you know when a course becomes available in your area.
If you want to host a course or have any other questions please email Jchamberlainwarwick@gmail.com
A limited number of free places are offered on this course. Please see the 'Upcoming' section above for current availability. Free places are offered to ensure greater diversity on our courses, so to qualify you must either:
- Work in an organisation in one of the 12 opportunity areas (Blackpool, Bradford, Derby, Doncaster, Fenland and East Cambridgeshire, Hastings, Ipswich, Norwich, Oldham, Scarborough, Stoke, West Somerset)
- Work in an organisation with an annual turnover of less than £500,000
- Consider yourself to have a disability
- Come from a Black, Asian or minority ethnic (BAME) background
You must also agree to be contacted by our evaluation team.
To book a free place find a course that has free places remaining and book as normal. At the payments stage of the booking you will be asked to tell us which of the three criteria you meet and then click on the 'recalculate' button to reduce the cost of the booking to zero.
If, for whatever reason, you are unable to attend, please advise us at least one week before the course takes place. This will allow us to offer the free place to someone else who works in the FE sector, so they can take advantage of this offer.
SET members are entitled to an exclusive 15% discount off this ETF professional development course.
Find out more about SET membership on the Society for Education and Training (SET) website.
Who is this for?
This is aimed at both new teachers of Functional Skills maths and those already teaching but possibly recently transferred from other areas, including vocational teachers and assessors. It is particularly suitable for those who do not currently hold a specific teaching qualification in maths. It is designed to meet the needs of all parts of the sector, including independent training providers, FE colleges, offender learning and adult and community education.
The course will ensure that those responsible for teaching Functional Skills maths are conversant with effective practice and have the confidence to teach Functional Skills maths to learners with skills below level 2 and support their achievement.
By the end of the sessions, participants will be able to:
- motivate and engage reluctant learners and address barriers to maths learning
- plan teaching and learning in accordance with the new subject content for Functional Skills maths
- use active approaches to develop learners' skills
- contextualise and apply maths to vocational learning and meaningful and everyday situations
- develop learners' problem solving and decision-making skills
- use assessment for learning approaches to support Functional Maths
- prepare learners for the requirements of summative assessment.
If delegates, including those who have already finished their course, wish to seek optional accreditation at Level 5 there is an additional fee for this of £215 per person.
- centre costs, registration and certification
- tutorial support
- an accreditation eGuide
- assessment and feedback.
This course is available in two different delivery models:
1. Five full days, usually spaced about a week apart.
2. Three full days, three 90-minute webinars and eight hours of online flexible learning, which needs to be done independently during the course.
- A maths qualification at level 2 or above.
- Employment in a teaching/training/assessing role in the post-16 education and training sector.
- Currently delivering Functional Skills maths or expecting to soon.