Leadership module: leading when you're not in charge (The Essential SEND Managers' Programme)
SET member: £297
Non-SET member: £350
This is a subsidised rate for providers that receive funding from the ESFA.
For providers not receiving funding the full cost is £525.
A limited number of free places are offered on this course. Please see the 'Upcoming' section above for current availability. Free places are offered to ensure greater diversity on our courses, so to qualify you must either:
- Work in an organisation in one of the 12 opportunity areas (Blackpool, Bradford, Derby, Doncaster, Fenland and East Cambridgeshire, Hastings, Ipswich, Norwich, Oldham, Scarborough, Stoke, West Somerset)
- Work in an organisation with an annual turnover of less than £500,000
- Consider yourself to have a disability
- Come from a Black, Asian or minority ethnic (BAME) background
You must also agree to be contacted by our evaluation team.
To book a free place find a course that has free places remaining and book a single place. At the payments stage of the booking you will be asked to tell us which of the three criteria you meet. Once selected, click on the 'recalculate' button to reduce the cost of the booking to zero and complete the booking.
If, for whatever reason, you are unable to attend, please advise us at least one week before the course takes place. This will allow us to offer the free place to someone else who works in the FE sector, so they can take advantage of this offer.
SET members are entitled to an exclusive 15% discount off this ETF professional development course.
Find out more about SET membership on the Society for Education and Training (SET) website.
Who is this for?
The course is for both new SEND Managers or experienced SEND Managers who already have SEND knowledge and would like to develop leadership skills within a SEND environment/system.
If you're working in specialist education, and you need to work with a wide range of other people, you'll know there's no simple lever that you can pull for things to magically happen. This two-day module, already well-received on its launch earlier in the year, is designed to help you lead effectively in these situations: where you need to work in new ways; where you may not be the most senior person in the room; and where you need to work in partnership with very different people.
It centres on Systems Leadership - a really useful tool to have in your armoury when you're grappling with thorny issues and you need to build relationships and trust across other departments, organisations and even sectors.
You will have the knowledge and confidence to apply a system leadership approach to your role in SEND.
Topics covered on the course include:
- complexity: context for SEND in FE
- different types of problems
- facing new challenges: leading and working differently
- systems leadership approaches for collaborative working with multiple partners
- working with different perspectives
- public narrative: story of self, story of us, story of now - mobilising people to join in action
- rich pictures - understanding what's going on in my system
- actor mapping and influencing approaches
- resilience and networks.
This is a two day course and the days will not be consecutive, as there will be tasks between the face to face delivery, to embed your knowledge.
A modest amount of pre- course work will be required. .Also, a link will be sent within the joining instructions to a short initial assessment survey. We would encourage you to complete the survey to establish a baseline for your learning journey.