Using phonics-based teaching at Entry Level: emergent readers and writers (East & North) (Code: C0469)
There are three pricing options:
1. Individual fees SET member: £85 Non-SET member: £100
2. Hosting Providers with 6-10 delegates: £600. We will support you to fill the extra places but this is a great opportunity to work collaboratively with providers in your locality.
Do you want to get the maximum value from your CPD budget?
Why not run an in-house course at a time and venue to suit?
In-house course for up to 16 staff: £880
In-house courses for up to 32 staff: £1,700
In-house courses for up to 48 staff: £2,400
A limited number of free places are offered on this course. Please see the 'Upcoming' section above for current availability. Free places are offered to ensure greater diversity on our courses, so to qualify you must either:
- Work in an organisation in one of the 12 opportunity areas (Blackpool, Bradford, Derby, Doncaster, Fenland and East Cambridgeshire, Hastings, Ipswich, Norwich, Oldham, Scarborough, Stoke, West Somerset)
- Work in an organisation with an annual turnover of less than £500,000
- Consider yourself to have a disability
- Come from a Black, Asian or minority ethnic (BAME) background
You must also agree to be contacted by our evaluation team.
To book a free place find a course that has free places remaining and book a single place. At the payments stage of the booking you will be asked to tell us which of the three criteria you meet. Once selected, click on the 'recalculate' button to reduce the cost of the booking to zero and complete the booking.
If, for whatever reason, you are unable to attend, please advise us at least one week before the course takes place. This will allow us to offer the free place to someone else who works in the FE sector, so they can take advantage of this offer.
SET members are entitled to an exclusive 15% discount off this ETF professional development course.
Find out more about SET membership on the Society for Education and Training (SET) website.
Who is this for?
Functional Skills English tutors and learning support assistants, working with emergent readers and writers (learners working towards Entry Level 1 and lower-end Entry Level 2).
The aim of this course is to introduce participants to Post-16 Phonics principles and practices in the context of working with emergent readers and writers (working towards Entry Level 1 or low-end Entry Level 2).
You will have the knowledge and confidence to:
- identify the Post-16 Phonics concepts that underpin the Post-16 Phonics Toolkit
- identify what is meant by 'Basic Code' and 'Basic Code Plus' and how this relates to practice.
- begin to assess learners' needs in terms of where the learner is on a continuum of phonic skills and knowledge
- plan practical phonics approaches to use with emergent readers/ writers.
- identify factors to be considered when supporting SEND/ LDD learners
- identify factors to be considered when supporting ESOL learners.
You should be teaching or be in a support role on a Functional Skills English programme.
If this course is not currently available in your area, and you would like to attend then register your interest. We will let you know about new events as they are announced.