Using phonics-based teaching at Entry Level - an introductory webinar (West and South)
There are two pricing options:
1. Individual fees
• Society for Education and Training member: £21.25
• Non-members: £25
To get maximum value from your CPD budget we can run this course for a group of your staff online at a time and venue to suit you for £200 per webinar.
A limited number of free places are offered on this course. Please see the 'Upcoming' section above for current availability. Free places are offered to ensure greater diversity on our courses, so to qualify you must either:
- Work in an organisation in one of the 12 opportunity areas (Blackpool, Bradford, Derby, Doncaster, Fenland and East Cambridgeshire, Hastings, Ipswich, Norwich, Oldham, Scarborough, Stoke, West Somerset)
- Work in an organisation with an annual turnover of less than £500,000
- Consider yourself to have a disability
- Come from a Black, Asian or minority ethnic (BAME) background
You must also agree to be contacted by our evaluation team.
To book a free place find a course that has free places remaining and book a single place. At the payments stage of the booking you will be asked to tell us which of the three criteria you meet. Once selected, click on the 'recalculate' button to reduce the cost of the booking to zero and complete the booking.
If, for whatever reason, you are unable to attend, please advise us at least one week before the course takes place. This will allow us to offer the free place to someone else who works in the FE sector, so they can take advantage of this offer.
SET members are entitled to an exclusive 15% discount off this ETF professional development course.
Find out more about SET membership on the Society for Education and Training (SET) website.
Who is this for?
Functional Skills English tutors, particularly those working with Entry level learners.
The aim of the introductory webinar is to introduce the CPD programme developed to support Functional English practitioners in exploring phonics-based teaching approaches at Entry Levels. Participants will have an opportunity to explore the key reasons why the use of phonics in Functional English has been highlighted at this time and will discuss the benefits and challenges of using phonics in the post-16 sector. It will then introduce some of the principles that underpin the use of phonics in teaching reading and writing.
The webinar will prepare you to progress on to the 1-day courses for emergent or developing reading/writing that will explore the use of phonics in much more detail.
You will have the knowledge and confidence to:
- explain why the use of phonics in Functional English has been highlighted at this time
- discuss the benefits and challenges of using phonics with post 16 learners
- summarise some of the principles that underpin good practice in using phonics with post 16 learners
- progress to other appropriate CPD opportunities available through the programme.
You should be teaching or be in a support role on a Functional Skills English programme.