Developing Grammar for Writing (webinar) (Code: C0621)
With an increased emphasis on SPAG, teachers continue to be challenged to teach grammar in ways that are effective and engaging for learners who have previously struggled with reading and writing skills. Contrary to many learners' expectations, grammar does not have to be dull; patterns in grammar and punctuation are remembered most easily when they are taught and practiced within the context of reading and writing, especially when there is a genuine need to use them purposefully.
SET member: £21.25
Non-SET member: £25
This is a subsidised rate for providers that receive funding from the ESFA.
For providers not receiving funding the full cost is £37.50
A limited number of free places are offered on this course. Please see the 'Upcoming' section above for current availability. Free places are offered to ensure greater diversity on our courses, so to qualify you must either:
- Work in an organisation in one of the 12 opportunity areas (Blackpool, Bradford, Derby, Doncaster, Fenland and East Cambridgeshire, Hastings, Ipswich, Norwich, Oldham, Scarborough, Stoke, West Somerset)
- Work in an organisation with an annual turnover of less than £500,000
- Consider yourself to have a disability
- Come from a Black, Asian or minority ethnic (BAME) background
You must also agree to be contacted by our evaluation team.
To book a free place find a course that has free places remaining and book a single place. At the payments stage of the booking you will be asked to tell us which of the three criteria you meet. Once selected, click on the 'recalculate' button to reduce the cost of the booking to zero and complete the booking.
If, for whatever reason, you are unable to attend, please advise us at least one week before the course takes place. This will allow us to offer the free place to someone else who works in the FE sector, so they can take advantage of this offer.
SET members are entitled to an exclusive 15% discount off this ETF professional development course.
Find out more about SET membership on the Society for Education and Training (SET) website.
Who is this for?
- Teachers and learning support assistants on GCSE and Functional English programmes.
- Vocational lecturers and trainers involved in embedded support with English.
This webinar explores ways in which GCSE and Functional Skills teachers can integrate the development of grammar within relevant text analysis and writing activities at a range of levels, using a variety of everyday, literary and vocational texts. Participants will have the opportunity to review some of the most common grammatical errors and evaluate a range of related support strategies.
By the end of the session, you will be able to:
- describe the merits of some different approaches to teaching grammar
- identify the key features of an investigative approach to grammar teaching
- support learners in overcoming some common grammatical errors
- progress to some self-study modules on Foundation Online Learning to further develop your subject knowledge.
90 min webinar