Developing grammar for writing (Code: C0637)
The increased emphasis on SPAG in GCSE and Functional English qualifications continues to challenge teachers to teach grammar in effective and engaging ways for learners who have previously struggled with reading and writing. Contrary to expectations, grammar teaching does not have to be dull; patterns are remembered most easily when taught and practised actively within the context of reading and writing, especially when there is a genuine need to use them purposefully for effect.
Face to face one day course: There are two pricing options:
1. Individual fees
Society for Education and Training member: £85
2. In-house To get maximum value from your CPD budget we can run this course in-house at a time and venue to suit you. Training for up to 16 staff: £880 Training for up to 32 staff: £1,700.
You can also add a pre or post-course webinar to your session to help embed the learning from the course in practice for only an additional £200 per webinar.
A limited number of free places are offered on this course. Please see the 'Upcoming' section above for current availability. Free places are offered to ensure greater diversity on our courses, so to qualify you must either:
- Work in an organisation in one of the 12 opportunity areas (Blackpool, Bradford, Derby, Doncaster, Fenland and East Cambridgeshire, Hastings, Ipswich, Norwich, Oldham, Scarborough, Stoke, West Somerset)
- Work in an organisation with an annual turnover of less than £500,000
- Consider yourself to have a disability
- Come from a Black, Asian or minority ethnic (BAME) background
You must also agree to be contacted by our evaluation team.
To book a free place find a course that has free places remaining and book a single place. At the payments stage of the booking you will be asked to tell us which of the three criteria you meet. Once selected, click on the 'recalculate' button to reduce the cost of the booking to zero and complete the booking.
If, for whatever reason, you are unable to attend, please advise us at least one week before the course takes place. This will allow us to offer the free place to someone else who works in the FE sector, so they can take advantage of this offer.
SET members are entitled to an exclusive 15% discount off this ETF professional development course.
Find out more about SET membership on the Society for Education and Training (SET) website.
Who is this for?
This course will be helpful for:
- teachers and learning support assistants on GCSE and Functional English programmes.
- vocational lecturers and trainers involved in embedded support with English.
This course explores how English and vocational teachers can develop learners' grammatical skills in relevant and engaging ways. You will be introduced to writing and text-based activities that embed grammatical work at a range of levels, using a variety of everyday, literary and vocational texts. Participants will have the opportunity to review some of the most common grammatical errors and evaluate a range of related support strategies, including the use digital technology to create engaging starter activities, whole class interactive tasks and revision resources for blended learning.
By the end of the session, you will have the knowledge and confidence to:
- evaluate the merits of different approaches to teaching grammar
- explore an investigative approach to grammar teaching using everyday, literary and vocational texts
- discuss some common grammatical errors and relevant support strategies
- evaluate a range of digital tools to develop resources for grammar teaching
- signpost participants to self-study materials on Foundation Online Learning to further develop their subject knowledge.
This course is currently offered as a one day course.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
If this course is not currently available in your area, and you would like to attend then register your interest. We will let you know about new events as they are announced.