Embedded Support with English for ESOL Learners (Code: C0638)
Integrating the development of English skills within vocational programmes has now become both an established support model and a key indicator of high quality teaching across the curriculum; ESOL learners have particular support needs in terms of both spoken and written English. This one-day course sets out to explore how practitioners working with ESOL learners can meet those needs through a range of embedded teaching strategies.
There are two pricing options:
1. Individual fees Society for Education and Training member: £85, Non-members: £100
2. In-house To get maximum value from your CPD budget we can run this course in-house at a time and venue to suit you. Training for up to 16 staff: £880 Training for up to 32 staff: £1,700
You can also add a pre or post-course webinar to your session to help embed the learning from the course in practice for only an additional £200 per webinar.
A limited number of free places are offered on this course. Please see the 'Upcoming' section above for current availability. Free places are offered to ensure greater diversity on our courses, so to qualify you must either:
- Work in an organisation in one of the 12 opportunity areas (Blackpool, Bradford, Derby, Doncaster, Fenland and East Cambridgeshire, Hastings, Ipswich, Norwich, Oldham, Scarborough, Stoke, West Somerset)
- Work in an organisation with an annual turnover of less than £500,000
- Consider yourself to have a disability
- Come from a Black, Asian or minority ethnic (BAME) background
You must also agree to be contacted by our evaluation team.
To book a free place find a course that has free places remaining and book a single place. At the payments stage of the booking you will be asked to tell us which of the three criteria you meet. Once selected, click on the 'recalculate' button to reduce the cost of the booking to zero and complete the booking.
If, for whatever reason, you are unable to attend, please advise us at least one week before the course takes place. This will allow us to offer the free place to someone else who works in the FE sector, so they can take advantage of this offer.
SET members are entitled to an exclusive 15% discount off this ETF professional development course.
Find out more about SET membership on the Society for Education and Training (SET) website.
Who is this for?
This course is suitable for any practitioner working with ESOL learners in the further education and skills sector, for example:
- vocational lecturers
- workplace trainers
- learning support assistants.
This course may also be of interest to ESOL specialists, as well as to English teachers, vocational tutors and learning support assistants who are working directly with ESOL learners.
This course helps prepare practitioners to offer embedded support for ESOL learners' English skills development. It explores the range of barriers that ESOL learners face when dealing with spoken and written instructions and when tacking reading and writing tasks in vocational contexts. The course demonstrates how teachers and other practitioners can support learners to address these difficulties and build their confidence and skills with English.
By the end of the session you will have the knowledge and confidence to:
- identify the English skills commonly required on vocational programmes
- list the additional barriers and challenges faced by ESOL learners
- support ESOL learners with spoken English and the use of specialist vocabulary
- support ESOL learners with reading and writing tasks in vocational areas
- choose some appropriate digital tools and websites for use in embedded support
- progress to self-study opportunities offered through Foundation Online Learning.
This course is currently offered as a one day course.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
If this course is not currently available in your area, and you would like to attend then register your interest. We will let you know about new events as they are announced.