Developing maths skills in English teaching (webinar)
This interactive webinar will identify the kind of number skills, vocabulary and calculation strategies that can be meaningfully explored when tackling Functional English tasks. The teaching approaches reflect an emphasis on collaborative learning and provide practitioners with important opportunities to develop learners' critical thinking and comprehension skills in interesting and engaging ways.
SET member: £21.25
Non-SET member: £25
This is a subsidised rate for providers that receive funding from the ESFA.
For providers not receiving funding the full cost is £37.50
A limited number of free places are offered on this course. Please see the 'Upcoming' section above for current availability. Free places are offered to ensure greater diversity on our courses, so to qualify you must either:
- Work in an organisation in one of the 12 opportunity areas (Blackpool, Bradford, Derby, Doncaster, Fenland and East Cambridgeshire, Hastings, Ipswich, Norwich, Oldham, Scarborough, Stoke, West Somerset)
- Work in an organisation with an annual turnover of less than £500,000
- Consider yourself to have a disability
- Come from a Black, Asian or minority ethnic (BAME) background
You must also agree to be contacted by our evaluation team.
To book a free place find a course that has free places remaining and book a single place. At the payments stage of the booking you will be asked to tell us which of the three criteria you meet. Once selected, click on the 'recalculate' button to reduce the cost of the booking to zero and complete the booking.
If, for whatever reason, you are unable to attend, please advise us at least one week before the course takes place. This will allow us to offer the free place to someone else who works in the FE sector, so they can take advantage of this offer.
SET members are entitled to an exclusive 15% discount off this ETF professional development course.
Find out more about SET membership on the Society for Education and Training (SET) website.
Who is this for?
- Teachers and learning support assistants on Functional Skills English programmes.
- Vocational lecturers and trainers involved in embedded support with English.
Functional Skills teaching provides many obvious and valuable opportunities to explore the maths skills required to cope with everyday literacy tasks such as reading timetables, checking bills, using recipes, following instruction labels, etc.
This webinar begins with a review of those 'visible' opportunities but then explores a range of less obvious but still authentic and appropriate ways in which Functional English practitioners can integrate the development of maths skills within their teaching.
By the end of the session, you will be able to:
- identify key opportunities to develop maths skills in your Functional English teaching
- evaluate a range of teaching strategies, active learning tasks and questioning techniques that develop maths skills using Functional English texts and tasks
- summarise the benefits of developing maths skills in English teaching
- explore some useful websites and online resources.
90 min webinar