Developing Vocabulary on Vocational Programmes (webinar) (Code: C0648)
The ability to read, understand and use technical vocabulary is a key element in feeling confident in any vocational role or workplace setting. Supporting learners to use subject specific vocabulary can therefore be a valuable way in which trainers can integrate English skills development in both their theory and practical sessions.
SET member: £21.25
Non-SET member: £25
This is a subsidised rate for providers that receive funding from the ESFA.
For providers not receiving funding the full cost is £37.50
A limited number of free places are offered on this course. Please see the 'Upcoming' section above for current availability. Free places are offered to ensure greater diversity on our courses, so to qualify you must either:
- Work in an organisation in one of the 12 opportunity areas (Blackpool, Bradford, Derby, Doncaster, Fenland and East Cambridgeshire, Hastings, Ipswich, Norwich, Oldham, Scarborough, Stoke, West Somerset)
- Work in an organisation with an annual turnover of less than £500,000
- Consider yourself to have a disability
- Come from a Black, Asian or minority ethnic (BAME) background
You must also agree to be contacted by our evaluation team.
To book a free place find a course that has free places remaining and book a single place. At the payments stage of the booking you will be asked to tell us which of the three criteria you meet. Once selected, click on the 'recalculate' button to reduce the cost of the booking to zero and complete the booking.
If, for whatever reason, you are unable to attend, please advise us at least one week before the course takes place. This will allow us to offer the free place to someone else who works in the FE sector, so they can take advantage of this offer.
SET members are entitled to an exclusive 15% discount off this ETF professional development course.
Find out more about SET membership on the Society for Education and Training (SET) website.
Who is this for?
- Vocational lecturers.
- Functional Skills teachers and learning support assistants who work on embedded programmes.
- Staff involved in apprenticeship delivery.
This webinar aims to demonstrate a range of teaching strategies and exemplar resources that practitioners have used in a range of vocational areas to model and support learners in using technical terminology. It explores how learners can be engaged in identifying and tackling specialist terminology when reading vocational texts and suggests ways in which learners can be supported to actively use professional vocabulary in written tasks and in oral communication both in the classroom and the workplace.
By the end of the session, you will have the knowledge and confidence to:
- review the benefits of supporting vocational learners to develop their vocabulary
- use a range of teaching strategies, resources and questioning techniques for vocabulary development
- begin to explore some relevant digital tools and websites for use on embedded programmes
- progress to further CPD opportunities in other areas of embedded support.
90 min webinar