An introduction to Phonics to support ESOL learners (Webinar) (Code: C0655)
Phonics-based approaches are a key part of the new Functional Skills English at Entry Level and can have particular benefits with ESOL learners. This webinar explores how to use phonics-based approaches appropriately, building on insights from the Post-16 Phonics Toolkit.
There are two pricing options:
- Individual fees: Society for Education and Training member: £21.25 • Non-members: £25
- In-house: To get maximum value from your CPD budget we can run this course for a group of your staff online at a time and venue to suit you for £200 per webinar.
A limited number of free places are offered on this course. Please see the 'Upcoming' section above for current availability. Free places are offered to ensure greater diversity on our courses, so to qualify you must either:
- Work in an organisation in one of the 12 opportunity areas (Blackpool, Bradford, Derby, Doncaster, Fenland and East Cambridgeshire, Hastings, Ipswich, Norwich, Oldham, Scarborough, Stoke, West Somerset)
- Work in an organisation with an annual turnover of less than £500,000
- Consider yourself to have a disability
- Come from a Black, Asian or minority ethnic (BAME) background
You must also agree to be contacted by our evaluation team.
To book a free place find a course that has free places remaining and book a single place. At the payments stage of the booking you will be asked to tell us which of the three criteria you meet. Once selected, click on the 'recalculate' button to reduce the cost of the booking to zero and complete the booking.
If, for whatever reason, you are unable to attend, please advise us at least one week before the course takes place. This will allow us to offer the free place to someone else who works in the FE sector, so they can take advantage of this offer.
SET members are entitled to an exclusive 15% discount off this ETF professional development course.
Find out more about SET membership on the Society for Education and Training (SET) website.
Who is this for?
Teachers, support teachers, trainers, assessors, mentors and coaches with responsibilities for facilitating English development.
- Explain why the use of phonics in Functional English has been highlighted at this time.
- Discuss the benefits and challenges of using phonics with post 16 learners.
- Summarise some of the principles that underpin good practice in using phonics with post 16 learners.
- Progress to other appropriate CPD opportunities.
The webinar will last between 60 and 90 minutes with time for questions. A Padlet will be provided for additional information and follow up activities.
If this course is not currently available in your area, and you would like to attend then register your interest. We will let you know about new events as they are announced.