Supporting ESOL learners (webinar) (Code: C0690)
ESOL learners have particular support needs in terms of both spoken and written English. This webinar sets out to explore how practitioners working with ESOL learners can meet those needs through a range of embedded teaching strategies.
SET member: £21.25
Non-SET member: £25
This is a subsidised rate for providers that receive funding from the ESFA.
For providers not receiving funding the full cost is £37.50
A limited number of free places are offered on this course. Please see the 'Upcoming' section above for current availability. Free places are offered to ensure greater diversity on our courses, so to qualify you must either:
- Work in an organisation in one of the 12 opportunity areas (Blackpool, Bradford, Derby, Doncaster, Fenland and East Cambridgeshire, Hastings, Ipswich, Norwich, Oldham, Scarborough, Stoke, West Somerset)
- Work in an organisation with an annual turnover of less than £500,000
- Consider yourself to have a disability
- Come from a Black, Asian or minority ethnic (BAME) background
You must also agree to be contacted by our evaluation team.
To book a free place find a course that has free places remaining and book a single place. At the payments stage of the booking you will be asked to tell us which of the three criteria you meet. Once selected, click on the 'recalculate' button to reduce the cost of the booking to zero and complete the booking.
If, for whatever reason, you are unable to attend, please advise us at least one week before the course takes place. This will allow us to offer the free place to someone else who works in the FE sector, so they can take advantage of this offer.
SET members are entitled to an exclusive 15% discount off this ETF professional development course.
Find out more about SET membership on the Society for Education and Training (SET) website.
Who is this for?
This course is suitable for any practitioner working with ESOL learners in the Further Education and Training sector, for example:
and learning support assistants.
This course may also be of interest to ESOL specialists and specialist English teachers.
This webinar introduces practitioners to methods of embedded support that can help support ESOL learners' English skills development. It explores a range of barriers ESOL learners can face when dealing with spoken and written instructions and when tacking reading and writing tasks in vocational contexts. The webinar discusses how practitioners can support learners to begin to address these difficulties.
By the end of the session you will have the knowledge and confidence to:
- identify the English skills commonly required within your area of teaching and learning
- discuss the barriers and challenges faced by ESOL learners
types of embedded support practitioners can draw upon that can help ESOL learners with spoken and written English.
90 minutes (virtual room will be open 30 minutes before the webinar starts so you can test your equipment)
- a software download is required which you can download in advance or on the day from this link: https://zoom.us/download.
- a good internet connection
- a set of headphones, in-earphones (like you would use for a mobile phone or tablet), or a mic-phones headset.
- a webcam although not essential is very helpful.
There are no entry requirements for this webinar.
If this course is not currently available in your area, and you would like to attend then register your interest. We will let you know about new events as they are announced.