Women-Up! A personal and career development workshop for women in further education, skills and lifelong learning (Code: C0697)
Women-Up! will equip you with the boldness and courage to be your authentic self as a leader; deal with self-doubt; maintain your wellbeing; recognise and own your uniqueness; rehearse and practice your narrative; and hold powerful conversations about your personal and professional ambitions and aspirations. Plus, you will learn about more professional development opportunities you can pursue and create.
The subsidised cost for women in ESFA-funded organisations is £150 per person to attend the two-day face to face course.
Free places on this course are to support intersectionality in gender equality and diversity in FE, skills and lifelong-learning senior leadership.
A limited number of free places are offered on this course. Please see the 'Upcoming' section above for current availability. Free places are offered to ensure greater diversity on our courses, so to qualify you must either:
- Work in an organisation in one of the 12 opportunity areas (Blackpool, Bradford, Derby, Doncaster, Fenland and East Cambridgeshire, Hastings, Ipswich, Norwich, Oldham, Scarborough, Stoke, West Somerset)
- Work in an organisation with an annual turnover of less than £500,000
- Consider yourself to have a disability
- Come from a Black, Asian or minority ethnic (BAME) background
You must also agree to be contacted by our evaluation team.
To book a free place find a course that has free places remaining and book a single place. At the payments stage of the booking you will be asked to tell us which of the three criteria you meet. Once selected, click on the 'recalculate' button to reduce the cost of the booking to zero and complete the booking.
If, for whatever reason, you are unable to attend, please advise us at least one week before the course takes place. This will allow us to offer the free place to someone else who works in the FE sector, so they can take advantage of this offer.
SET members are entitled to an exclusive 15% discount off this ETF professional development course.
Find out more about SET membership on the Society for Education and Training (SET) website.
Who is this for?
Current middle managers and senior leaders who aspire to a CEO/principal role in the sector. Specifically, we encourage you to join this course if you are:
- A woman involved in or who has completed an ETF course such as Leading from the Middle, Maths and English Leaders, SEND Leaders Programme, T Levels Strand 5, Success in Senior Leadership or the Preparing for CEO Programme.
- An individual Women's Leadership Network (WLN) partner who is an aspiring Principal, CEO or head of service.
We also encourage principals/CEOs/Heads of Service whose organisations are current Women's Leadership Network (WLN) partners to nominate aspiring women managers and leaders from their organisations.
- To increase intersectional gender equality in senior management and leadership in FE, skills and lifelong learning
- To support women's' career and personal development in FE, skills and lifelong learning (the sector)
- To enable and empower all kinds of women in the sector to recognise and overcome the systemic and internalised gendered barriers in that stop them from aspiring to and taking the next step in applying for and gaining senior management and leadership opportunities
- To raise leadership aspirations of among all kinds of women in the sector
- To complement existing management and leadership courses provided by ETF for middle managers, senior leaders and aspiring CEOs and provide a women-positive pathway to and from these courses
- To create an alumni of women leaders willing to support other women who aspire to leadership positions in the sector.
You will have the knowledge and confidence to:
- recognise and counter systemic, intersectional, and internalised barriers to your own and other women's career development and senior leadership roles in the sector
- identify and learn from senior women role models in the sector who have overcome barriers in their leadership journeys
- experience first hand the benefits to your career development and progressions of a supportive network of aspiring women leaders
- recognise and own your uniqueness
- undertake between the two course days an action you set to enhance your personal and career development
- develop your career action plan
- be able to hold powerful conversations about your personal and professional ambitions and aspirations
- know which other professional development opportunities you can pursue, including those you can create
- find solutions, strategies and support to help you become the leader you want to be.
2 non-consecutive face to face training days, plus an online meeting and an assignment you complete between the two days.
We are offering two instances of this course:
- The first course is in Birmingham. Day 1 is on 28 January 2020 and day 2 is on 10 March 2020
- The second course is in London. Day 1 is on 7 February 2020 and day 2 is on 17 March 2020.
Women working in ESFA-funded FE, skills or lifelong learning provision who aspire to senior management and leadership in the sector and/or women in the ESFA funded sector who have experienced gendered barriers to their career and personal development into senior management and/or leadership.
Participants do not need to be WLN partners but we strongly encourage individuals and organisations that are WLN partners to take up this opportunity.