Introduction to English learning resilience and coaching skills for English resilience (four day package)
Maths and English Pipeline
SET members: £276.25 https://set.et-foundation.co.uk
Non-SET members: £325
Providers with up to 5 delegates: £1,050 and 6-10 delegates: £2,100. We will support you to fill the extra places but this is a great opportunity to work collaboratively with providers in your locality.
For organisations hosting in-house for up to 16 of their own staff: £2,980
Who is this course for?
This course is for teachers and trainers who:
- teach GCSE English
- teach functional English
- support learners' English skills in vocational contexts.
If your organisation would like to host a course for your own staff, either in house or with places offered to external candidates, please register your interest here.
The course first introduces the ideas of English learning resilience and the 'growth zone' model and how teachers can develop strategies to overcome barriers to English learning. It then deepens and extends these ideas with a focus on developing coaching skills as a tool to transform learners' attitudes and approaches to English, helping them to develop growth mindsets and English learning resilience - with a wider impact on learning.
You will have the knowledge and confidence to:
- develop understanding of the barriers and anxieties faced by many English learners
- explore four key factors in English learning resilience and their implications for classroom practice
- growth mindsets
- personal value and agency
- how to work at English
- appropriate scaffolding and support
- use activities which makes English Alive (accessible, linked, inclusive, valuable, entertaining)
- raise your own self awareness and recognise your impact on learners' attitudes and behaviour
- develop coaching techniques, including listening, questioning, reflecting and summarising
- use these techniques to engage and support English learners, enabling them to develop personal agency and a willingness to undertake challenging English learning tasks.
Length of the course
Four full days, spread over several weeks. Pre-course reading will be provided, with access to further materials on line afterwards.
Applicants should be teaching, managing or supporting staff in the FE and skills sector.