Supporting ESOL on English courses (Code: C0753)
This course aims to support teachers of GCSE and Functional Skills English who have ESOL learners in their groups and need to ensure their approaches are inclusive and prepare all learners, including ESOL, to make progress.
Who is this for?
Teachers, learning support assistants and
curriculum managers of GCSE English, Functional Skills English and family literacy.
- To assist Functional Skills and GCSE tutors to support learners with ESOL needs through their programmes.
- To explore some examples of resources for embedding ESOL in English programmes.
- To focus on the Reading, Writing and Speaking & Listening needs of ESOL learners.
By the end of the course you will have:
- identified some of the barriers that ESOL learners may face in reading Functional Skills and GCSE texts
- reviewed the barriers that learners face when tackling writing tasks on mainstream English programmes
- explored the use some practical tips for supporting learners with reading and writing tasks
- identified some useful e-learning tools and websites supporting ESOL learners.
This is a blended learning course, which consists of two 90-minute live sessions and self-led learning between them. The live sessions are one week apart, giving you a week to complete the mid-course tasks.