Supporting ESOL on maths courses (Code: C0754)
This course aims to investigate the importance of language in developing numeracy/maths skills and to develop strategies to support ESOL learners with their maths learning.
Who is this for?
Teachers, learning support assistants and curriculum managers of GCSE maths, Functional Skills maths and family numeracy.
ESOL / English specialists supporting Functional Skills maths learners may also benefit from the session.
- To identify the importance of language in developing numeracy / maths skills.
- To identify potential problems for ESOL learners with understanding key vocabulary and mathematical concepts.
- To develop strategies to support ESOL learners with maths.
By the end of the course you will have:
- identified the role of language in maths teaching
- considered the language and maths learning needs of a range of learners whose first languages are other than English
- recognised potential language difficulties faced by ESOL learners when studying maths
- developed strategies for supporting ESOL learners with understanding and
explaining mathematical concepts and processes.
This is a blended learning course, which consists of two 90-minute live sessions and self-led learning between them. The live sessions are one week apart, giving you a week to complete the mid-course tasks.