Supporting Functional Skills learners (English) (Code: C0758)
This course will help participants to develop a range of strategies to help learners studying for Functional Skills English level 1 and level 2. The course focuses on the key areas which examiners and tutors have identified as being areas learners find more challenging. The course will use a range of everyday texts as used in the examinations to explore how to develop learners reading and writing skills.
Who is this for?
This course is primarily aimed at subject specialist teachers of Functional English but it may also be of interest to other practitioners working in the post-16 sector who will be supporting the development of learners' Functional Skills, such as learning support assistants.
The course focuses developing a range of teaching and learning approaches relating to key areas which learners find challenging and which impact on their progress: vocabulary development, using effective sentences, spellings, accessing a text for information and developing their writing.
You will have the knowledge and confidence to:
- Develop learners' knowledge of grammar to write effective, accurate sentences.
- Help learners to write coherently and cohesively using planning approaches and paragraphs to create clear meaning and structure.
- Use post-16 phonics approaches to supporting learners' spellings.
- Develop learners' vocabulary.
- Help learners to access texts by developing a range of reading approaches which engage them and develop their reading skills.
This is a blended learning course, which consists of two 90-minute live sessions and self-led learning between them. The live sessions are one week apart, giving you a week to complete the mid-course tasks.