Teaching Functional Skills Maths Level 5 CPD module (Code: C0847)
This is aimed at both new teachers of Functional Skills maths and those already teaching but possibly recently transferred from other areas, including vocational teachers and assessors. It is particularly suitable for those who do not currently hold a specific teaching qualification in maths. It is designed to meet the needs of all parts of the sector, including independent training providers, FE colleges, offender learning and adult and community education.
There are three pricing options.
1. Individual fees SET member: £170 Non-SET member: £200
Get the maximum value from your CPD budget and run an in-house course at a time and venue to suit. In-house course: £1,800
To book an in-house course please follow this link: https://ccpathways.co.uk/shaping-success-bookings/
A limited number of free places are offered on this course. Please see the 'Upcoming' section above for current availability. Free places are offered to ensure greater diversity on our courses, so to qualify you must either:
- Work in an organisation in one of the 12 opportunity areas (Blackpool, Bradford, Derby, Doncaster, Fenland and East Cambridgeshire, Hastings, Ipswich, Norwich, Oldham, Scarborough, Stoke, West Somerset)
- Work in an organisation with an annual turnover of less than £500,000
- Consider yourself to have a disability
- Come from a Black, Asian or minority ethnic (BAME) background
You must also agree to be contacted by our evaluation team.
To book a free place find a course that has free places remaining and book a single place. At the payments stage of the booking you will be asked to tell us which of the three criteria you meet. Once selected, click on the 'recalculate' button to reduce the cost of the booking to zero and complete the booking.
If, for whatever reason, you are unable to attend, please advise us at least one week before the course takes place. This will allow us to offer the free place to someone else who works in the FE sector, so they can take advantage of this offer.
SET members are entitled to an exclusive 15% discount off this ETF professional development course.
Find out more about SET membership on the Society for Education and Training (SET) website.
Who is this for?
This course is particularly suitable for:
- new teachers of Functional Skills maths
- experienced teachers and trainers who have recently transferred from other areas to teach maths, including vocational teachers and assessors.
- those who do not currently hold a specific teaching qualification in maths.
The course will ensure that those responsible for teaching Functional Skills maths are conversant with effective practice and have the confidence to teach Functional Skills maths to learners with skills below level 2, and support their achievement.
By the end of the sessions, you will have the knowledge and confidence to:
- motivate and engage reluctant learners and address barriers to maths learning
- plan teaching and learning in accordance with the new subject content for Functional Skills maths
- use active approaches to develop learners' skills
- contextualise and apply maths to vocational learning and meaningful and everyday situations develop learners' problem solving and decision-making skills
- use assessment for learning approaches to support Functional Maths prepare learners for the requirements of summative assessment.
If delegates, including those who have already finished their course, wish to seek optional accreditation at Level 5 there is an additional fee for this of £215 per person. This includes:
- centre costs,
- registration and certification
- tutorial support
- an accreditation eGuide
- assessment and feedback.
This course is available in two different delivery models:
1. Five full days, usually spaced about a week apart (usually facilitated via 2 x 2 hour webinars).
2. Ten half days, usually spaced about a week apart (usually facilitated via 1 x 2 hour webinar).
You will also be expected to engage in independent study in between facilitated sessions.
- A maths qualification at level 2 or above.
- Employment in a teaching/training/assessing role in the post-16 education and training sector.
- Currently delivering Functional Skills maths or expecting to soon.