#APConnect: Leading AP Teams – Advanced Practice (Code: C0865)
In this module, AP leaders will be exposed to:
- current thinking and research on leadership of teaching & learning in Further Education
- evidence-based approaches to improving teaching and learning
- applied skills for managing and developing AP teams
- a collaborative forum in which to share and exchange ideas for best practice in this area
- a reflective space in which to practise and develop their own communication skills for leading AP teams.
SET member: £85
Non-SET member: £100 (for individuals working in the further education and training sector and who are employed by an ESFA-funded organisation).
Unsubsidised fee: £150 (not employed by an ESFA-funded organisation).
A limited number of free places are offered on this course. Please see the 'Upcoming' section above for current availability. Free places are offered to ensure greater diversity on our courses, so to qualify you must either:
- Work in an organisation in one of the 12 opportunity areas (Blackpool, Bradford, Derby, Doncaster, Fenland and East Cambridgeshire, Hastings, Ipswich, Norwich, Oldham, Scarborough, Stoke, West Somerset)
- Work in an organisation with an annual turnover of less than £500,000
- Consider yourself to have a disability
- Come from a Black, Asian or minority ethnic (BAME) background
You must also agree to be contacted by our evaluation team.
To book a free place find a course that has free places remaining and book a single place. At the payments stage of the booking you will be asked to tell us which of the three criteria you meet. Once selected, click on the 'recalculate' button to reduce the cost of the booking to zero and complete the booking.
If, for whatever reason, you are unable to attend, please advise us at least one week before the course takes place. This will allow us to offer the free place to someone else who works in the FE sector, so they can take advantage of this offer.
SET members are entitled to an exclusive 15% discount off this ETF professional development course.
Find out more about SET membership on the Society for Education and Training (SET) website.
Who is this for?
Experienced practitioners in the FE sector with:
- responsibility for leading and managing a team of Advanced Practitioners/Teaching & Learning Coaches in their workplace and/or
- been tasked with forming and coordinating a team of APs or T&L Coaches.
You may be known by a range of titles such as:
- Quality Manager/Lead
- Director of Quality
- T&L Manager
- Head of T&L
- Vice Principal for TLA or Organisational Development
- Vice Principal for Innovation and Improvement
- Staff Development Manager
- Professional Development Lead.
The training aim of the module is to develop and extend the knowledge and skills of those who lead Advanced Practitioner-type teams so you can amplify the reach and impact of AP-type work in your context.
The module blends pre-module activity, content delivery and a subsequent webinar to ensure you can link prior learning and practice to new perspectives and then apply new learning in your workplace context.
The three-part format allows for extended networking and exchange of experiences and practices across the group of participants, with the final webinar providing an opportunity for you to share practice and evaluate the learning process on this module and from the small workplace project.
You will have the knowledge and confidence to:
- Support and develop the conditions in your workplace in which collegial interaction centred on Teaching & Learning can happen.
- Put into practice the leadership of Teaching & Learning in your role as an AP Leader.
- Identify and practise core communication and organisational skills for leadership of your AP team.
- Promote and enable the AP function within your organisational hierarchy.
This is a blended module which will be delivered by Joanne Miles with input from Prof. Matt O'Leary. It consists of the following elements:
- pre-module activity
- live content via Zoom (full day)
- post session tasks (including small-scale project)
- live follow up webinar.
Please make sure you can commit to all offline and live elements before you book.
Access a detailed breakdown of indicative content.
You must currently lead a group of APs/TLA Coaches or have a recent remit to form a new group of APs/TLA Coaches.
You may have experience of carrying out some of these activities:
- recruiting, coordinating & leading teams of APs
- setting targets and goals for APs and managing their performance
- development of strategy for TLA and quality improvement
- coordinating programmes of CPD
- leading/contributing to organisational strategy for lesson observations
- carrying out lesson observations & related professional dialogues
- contributing to the organisation's self-assessment processes with a role in TLA improvement & organisational development
- reporting to senior leadership teams on data & improvement plans emerging from lesson observation cycles & other developmental initiatives
- evaluating CPD programmes & reporting back on their impact to leadership teams
- collaboration with managers to plan development & quality improvement work in their areas.