Attendance and Motivation: Maths (Code: C0866)
Drawing on lessons learnt from lockdown and research this practical course will focus on how to engage and motivate learners to attend, and remain on, maths courses and will include supporting learners remotely and issues surrounding resilience and self-efficacy. The course will support practitioners to help learners with maths anxiety and recognise and address cognitive overload with strategies to support these issues.
There are two pricing options.
1. Individual fees
• SET member: £85
• Non-SET member: £100
Get the maximum value from your CPD budget and run an in-house course at a date and time to suit. In-house course: £500
To book an in-house course please follow this link: https://ccpathways.co.uk/shaping-success-bookings/
A limited number of free places are offered on this course. Please see the 'Upcoming' section above for current availability. Free places are offered to ensure greater diversity on our courses, so to qualify you must either:
- Work in an organisation in one of the 12 opportunity areas (Blackpool, Bradford, Derby, Doncaster, Fenland and East Cambridgeshire, Hastings, Ipswich, Norwich, Oldham, Scarborough, Stoke, West Somerset)
- Work in an organisation with an annual turnover of less than £500,000
- Consider yourself to have a disability
- Come from a Black, Asian or minority ethnic (BAME) background
You must also agree to be contacted by our evaluation team.
To book a free place find a course that has free places remaining and book a single place. At the payments stage of the booking you will be asked to tell us which of the three criteria you meet. Once selected, click on the 'recalculate' button to reduce the cost of the booking to zero and complete the booking.
If, for whatever reason, you are unable to attend, please advise us at least one week before the course takes place. This will allow us to offer the free place to someone else who works in the FE sector, so they can take advantage of this offer.
SET members are entitled to an exclusive 15% discount off this ETF professional development course.
Find out more about SET membership on the Society for Education and Training (SET) website.
Who is this for?
This course is suitable for GCSE and Functional Skills maths teachers in Further Education and Training settings.
This course will:
- explore how to support learners to value maths skills
- consider how to support learners to engage when support is remote or blended
- investigate how to match teaching to the needs of learners and how coaching and resilience strategies can support teaching practice and encourage learners to engage.
- outline the principles behind the Assessment for Learning (AfL) Effective Practice Guidelines
You will have considered:
- the design of authentic maths activities that engage and motivate learners both face to face and remotely
- how to support learners to monitor and evaluate their own learning (in line AfL Effective Practice Guidelines)
- how to include coaching, resilience and other strategies into your practice.
This is a blended learning course, which consists of two 2-hour live sessions and self-led learning between them. The live sessions will be held at least one week apart, giving you a week to complete the mid-course tasks.
GCSE and Functional Skills maths teachers in Further Education and Training settings.