Developing English in vocational/ technical contexts (Code: C0869)
Drawing on lessons learnt from lockdown this course will support technical and vocational tutors, trainers and assessors to identify naturally occurring opportunities to develop learners' English skills which are needed for them to successfully complete their study programme, apprenticeship or vocational/ technical course.
There are two pricing options.
1. Individual fees
• SET member: £85
• Non-SET member: £100
Get the maximum value from your CPD budget and run an in-house course at a date and time to suit. In-house course: £500
To book an in-house course please follow this link: https://ccpathways.co.uk/shaping-success-bookings/
A limited number of free places are offered on this course. Please see the 'Upcoming' section above for current availability. Free places are offered to ensure greater diversity on our courses, so to qualify you must either:
- Work in an organisation in one of the 12 opportunity areas (Blackpool, Bradford, Derby, Doncaster, Fenland and East Cambridgeshire, Hastings, Ipswich, Norwich, Oldham, Scarborough, Stoke, West Somerset)
- Work in an organisation with an annual turnover of less than £500,000
- Consider yourself to have a disability
- Come from a Black, Asian or minority ethnic (BAME) background
You must also agree to be contacted by our evaluation team.
To book a free place find a course that has free places remaining and book a single place. At the payments stage of the booking you will be asked to tell us which of the three criteria you meet. Once selected, click on the 'recalculate' button to reduce the cost of the booking to zero and complete the booking.
If, for whatever reason, you are unable to attend, please advise us at least one week before the course takes place. This will allow us to offer the free place to someone else who works in the FE sector, so they can take advantage of this offer.
SET members are entitled to an exclusive 15% discount off this ETF professional development course.
Find out more about SET membership on the Society for Education and Training (SET) website.
Who is this for?
This course is suitable for technical and vocational tutors and assessors.
Drawing on lessons learnt from lockdown, participants will be able plan and deliver teaching and learning activities which develop learners' vocationally or technically relevant English skills to meet their assessed needs.
By the end of the session you will have:
- experienced a range of activities which have been used with post-16 learners
- developed learners' communication skills in the context of their planned occupation
- identified naturally-occurring opportunities to develop learners' English skills
- considered how to plan activities to engage learners with reading texts relevant to their occupation
- considered how to develop relevant vocabulary and spelling.
This is a blended learning course, which consists of two 2-hour live sessions with self-led learning between them. The live sessions will be held at least one week apart, giving you a week to complete the mid-course tasks.