English: improving writing (Code: C0871)
Drawing on lessons learnt from lockdown, this course will draw on best practice approaches to develop writing skills to produce coherent and cohesive texts which respond effectively to: examination and occupational tasks; reading questions and transactional and creative writing tasks.
There are two pricing options.
1. Individual fees
• SET member: £85
• Non-SET member: £100
Get the maximum value from your CPD budget and run an in-house course at a date and time to suit. In-house course: £500
To book an in-house course please follow this link: https://ccpathways.co.uk/shaping-success-bookings/
A limited number of free places are offered on this course. Please see the 'Upcoming' section above for current availability. Free places are offered to ensure greater diversity on our courses, so to qualify you must either:
- Work in an organisation in one of the 12 opportunity areas (Blackpool, Bradford, Derby, Doncaster, Fenland and East Cambridgeshire, Hastings, Ipswich, Norwich, Oldham, Scarborough, Stoke, West Somerset)
- Work in an organisation with an annual turnover of less than £500,000
- Consider yourself to have a disability
- Come from a Black, Asian or minority ethnic (BAME) background
You must also agree to be contacted by our evaluation team.
To book a free place find a course that has free places remaining and book a single place. At the payments stage of the booking you will be asked to tell us which of the three criteria you meet. Once selected, click on the 'recalculate' button to reduce the cost of the booking to zero and complete the booking.
If, for whatever reason, you are unable to attend, please advise us at least one week before the course takes place. This will allow us to offer the free place to someone else who works in the FE sector, so they can take advantage of this offer.
SET members are entitled to an exclusive 15% discount off this ETF professional development course.
Find out more about SET membership on the Society for Education and Training (SET) website.
Who is this for?
This course is for tutors who teach GCSE, Functional Skills English or other tutors who need to develop learners' writing skills.
Drawing on lessons learnt from lockdown, this course aims to help learners overcome the barriers to writing they often face so they can focus on developing their writing skills to create texts fit for purpose. Learners will see how effective writing can empower them to communicate their interests and ideas to a wide audience.
You will have the knowledge and confidence to:
- use the natural writing process to overcome barriers: generating ideas, creating plans and drafts
- refine writing by developing knowledge of vocabulary, grammar and paragraphing
- consider how different approaches impact on what you want to say and who you want to influence.
This is a blended learning course, which consists of two 2-hour live sessions with self-led learning between them. The live sessions will be held at least one week apart, giving you a week to complete the mid-course tasks.