English: Speaking, listening and communicating (Code: C0873)
Drawing on lessons learnt from lockdown, this course focuses on developing learners' speech, language and communication (SpLC) skills for maths and English teaching and learning. There is also a specific focus on supporting SEND and neuro-diverse learners.
There are two pricing options.
1. Individual fees
• SET member: £85
• Non-SET member: £100
Get the maximum value from your CPD budget and run an in-house course at a date and time to suit. In-house course: £500
To book an in-house course please follow this link: https://ccpathways.co.uk/shaping-success-bookings/
A limited number of free places are offered on this course. Please see the 'Upcoming' section above for current availability. Free places are offered to ensure greater diversity on our courses, so to qualify you must either:
- Work in an organisation in one of the 12 opportunity areas (Blackpool, Bradford, Derby, Doncaster, Fenland and East Cambridgeshire, Hastings, Ipswich, Norwich, Oldham, Scarborough, Stoke, West Somerset)
- Work in an organisation with an annual turnover of less than £500,000
- Consider yourself to have a disability
- Come from a Black, Asian or minority ethnic (BAME) background
You must also agree to be contacted by our evaluation team.
To book a free place find a course that has free places remaining and book a single place. At the payments stage of the booking you will be asked to tell us which of the three criteria you meet. Once selected, click on the 'recalculate' button to reduce the cost of the booking to zero and complete the booking.
If, for whatever reason, you are unable to attend, please advise us at least one week before the course takes place. This will allow us to offer the free place to someone else who works in the FE sector, so they can take advantage of this offer.
SET members are entitled to an exclusive 15% discount off this ETF professional development course.
Find out more about SET membership on the Society for Education and Training (SET) website.
Who is this for?
This course is suitable for anyone supporting learners' development of speaking, listening and communication skills (teachers, trainers and support specialists).
Drawing on lessons learnt from lockdown, this course will build knowledge and understanding in relation to developing learners' speech, language and communication skills through maths and English teaching and learning, with a particular focus on SEND and neuro-diverse learners.
By the end of the course, you will have the knowledge and confidence to:
- Share why SpLC skills are important for learning and development.
- Discuss how SpLC skills can be built into English and maths teaching, learning and assessment.
- Consider some of the specific difficulties faced by SEND and neuro-diverse learners, and share some strategies to support these learners.
- Trial some key resources and activities that help develop learners' SpLC skills.
This is a blended learning course, which consists of two 2-hour live sessions with self-led learning between them. The live sessions will be held at least one week apart, giving you a week to complete the mid-course tasks.