Maths: key topics learners find challenging (Code: C0875)
This course will investigate the maths topics learners find challenging and consider strategies to support learning. Informed by what we have learnt from lockdown, a range of resources and best practice approaches will be discussed. We will also look at how to encourage learners to rethink problems and secure their learning through tackling problems.
There are two pricing options.
1. Individual fees
• SET member: £85
• Non-SET member: £100
Get the maximum value from your CPD budget and run an in-house course at a date and time to suit. In-house course: £500
To book an in-house course please follow this link: https://ccpathways.co.uk/shaping-success-bookings/
A limited number of free places are offered on this course. Please see the 'Upcoming' section above for current availability. Free places are offered to ensure greater diversity on our courses, so to qualify you must either:
- Work in an organisation in one of the 12 opportunity areas (Blackpool, Bradford, Derby, Doncaster, Fenland and East Cambridgeshire, Hastings, Ipswich, Norwich, Oldham, Scarborough, Stoke, West Somerset)
- Work in an organisation with an annual turnover of less than £500,000
- Consider yourself to have a disability
- Come from a Black, Asian or minority ethnic (BAME) background
You must also agree to be contacted by our evaluation team.
To book a free place find a course that has free places remaining and book a single place. At the payments stage of the booking you will be asked to tell us which of the three criteria you meet. Once selected, click on the 'recalculate' button to reduce the cost of the booking to zero and complete the booking.
If, for whatever reason, you are unable to attend, please advise us at least one week before the course takes place. This will allow us to offer the free place to someone else who works in the FE sector, so they can take advantage of this offer.
SET members are entitled to an exclusive 15% discount off this ETF professional development course.
Find out more about SET membership on the Society for Education and Training (SET) website.
Who is this for?
This course is suitable for GCSE and Functional Skills maths teachers.
- to promote mathematical thinking amongst your learners in order to tackle their maths challenges
- 'mastery strategies' can be incorporated into practice.
- to encourage maths learners to embrace their mistakes by rethinking their strategies
By the end of the session you will have:
- considered a variety of strategies to support your learners when they face maths challenges including 'mastery strategies'
- reflected on a range of resources and approaches to use with your learners
- shared your expertise with other practitioners
This is a blended learning course, which consists of two 2-hour live sessions and self-led learning between them. The live sessions will be held at least one week apart, giving you a week to complete the mid-course tasks.