Preparing for a career in FE teaching and training (Code: C1172)
This course is designed for anyone preparing for a career as a teacher or trainer in the FE sector. You will explore the sector and you will be introduced to the roles and opportunities within it. We'll introduce some of the key theories of teaching and learning and explore how valuable your previous career experience will be in FE.
This course is delivered online on the FutureLearn platform. To access the course, you will need to follow the link in the booking joining instruction email. If you do not have a FutureLearn account already, you will be asked to create one.
Who is this for?
This course is suitable for anyone preparing for a career in teaching or training, particularly in the Further Education and Training sector.
If you are a new or prospective graduate you will complete the course with a clear understanding of what a career in FE can offer you, building on the knowledge and experience gained through your degree course.
If you are considering a career change into FE teaching or training, perhaps from industry or the armed forces, the course will explore the benefits that your knowledge, skills and experience will bring to learners in FE .
Whatever your pathway into teaching, this course will give you the confidence to make the move providing you with up-to-date information to inform your decision-making and support for your application and interview.
To prepare you for a career in teaching and training in the FE sector, by enabling you to engage with interesting and contemporary course content, so that you can investigate areas of particular interest to you, whilst collaborating with peers.
In the final week of the course, the focus will be on effective preparation for job applications, interviews and a 'microteach'.
You'll hear from current teachers many of whom are career changers and you'll complete the course with the confidence and knowledge to take your next steps, transitioning smoothly into the FE sector.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the FE sector and the settings in which teaching and training takes place.
- Discuss the sector in the context of the UK's technical education reforms and plan for growth.
- Evaluate approaches to teaching and learning.
- Discuss curriculum design and effective delivery models.
- Describe characteristics of excellent technical teaching and training.
- Discuss the importance of 'line of sight to work' and the importance of effective careers education, information, advice and guidance (CEIAG).
- Discuss the use of labour market information to inform teaching and training.
- Describe future models of FE delivery.
- Discuss the importance of education for sustainable development.
- Discuss the importance of advancing equality, diversity and inclusion in FE.
- Discuss the application and selection processes for FE teaching and training roles and how to perform well in them.
The course can be studied flexibly, but the guide is that it is a six week course with 12 hours of learning, to include in Week 5 an opportunity to complete an Independent Study Task that will best suit your personal and professional development needs.