Teaching Maths Functional Skills (Level 5 module) (Code: C1462)
This course is aimed at both new and more experienced teachers of Functional Skills maths and those who have recently transferred from other areas, including vocational teachers and assessors. It is particularly suitable for those who do not currently hold a specific teaching qualification in maths. It is designed to meet the needs of all parts of the Further Education and Training sector, including independent training providers, colleges, offender learning and adult and community education.
£450/person for participation in an open course. 10% discount available for SET members.
A discount is available for onsite group bookings – contact us for details
SET members are entitled to an exclusive 10% discount off this ETF professional development course.
Find out more about SET membership on the Society for Education and Training (SET) website.
Who is this for?
This course is particularly suitable for:
- new teachers of Functional Skills maths
- experienced teachers and trainers who have recently transferred from other areas to teach maths, including vocational teachers and assessors
- those who do not currently hold a specific teaching qualification in maths.
This course is all about making new, existing, and aspiring teachers of maths in the post-compulsory sector aware of current good practice in maths and equipping them with the skills to be effective Functional Skills Maths teachers.
By the end of the sessions, you will have the knowledge and confidence to:
- motivate and engage reluctant learners and address barriers to maths learning plan teaching and learning in accordance with the new subject content for Functional Skills maths
- use active approaches to develop learners' skills
- contextualise and apply maths to vocational learning and meaningful and everyday situations develop learners' problem solving and decision-making skills
- use assessment for learning approaches to support Functional Maths learners prepare for the requirements of summative assessment.
10 webinars of two hours each on different days.
You will also be expected to engage in independent study in between facilitated sessions.
- A maths qualification at level 2 or above
- Employment in a teaching/training/assessing role in the post-16 education and training sector
- Currently delivering Functional Skills maths or expecting to soon.